Monday 3 November 2014

The unknown Malmsjö combo organ


There are quite a lot of used organs in the classified ads in Sweden. And normally I do not pick up a new one if it's too far away from home. However I look for organs all over the country and check them out a little extra if it seems to be something interesting.

When I discovered my latest addition to the collection it first didn't seem to be something special. But I have been curios about Malmsjö since the Swedish organist Nils Dacke uses them and this was a combo, which is always a bit more interesting. Therefore I asked for some more pictures and one of the pictures i received was this one:


I think you can see why it caught my interest the "Synth Effect" part. Was this actually a swedish combo organ with a built in synth? I starterd searching for information on the piece but found nothing, really nothing, on Google or elsewhere. It was really cheap (about $80) but located 350 km from my home, and not in a direction i normally travel so it was a bit to hard to pick it up and eventually I simply let it be.

But about two weeks ago the seller contacted me again and said the organ still hadn´t found a new owner. So I started looking for alternatives for the transport. Finally I put out a question on Facebook if anyone was going to do the trip from Värmland to anywhere near my hometown. And it worked, a friend of a friend was going to do the trip in just a week and was kind i enough to help me with the transport. And yesterday it arrived in my studio. I was quite eager to try it out, to see if there really was a synth and if so how it sounded.

At first I couldn't figure out how to get any of the synth effect features working. But finally I found out that the Piano part was the basis of the synthesis. And the synth effect was practically a kind of filter for the piano sounds. I guess you could call it a synth, but it's not quite a built in Moog or Arp.

More about the organ and it's sounds here

No comments: